Top 100 Baseball Blog

Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Boston Red Sox’s All-Day Prospect: Outfielder Forrestt Allday

There is nothing like a baseball player with a great name. The likes of Rusty Kuntz and Razor Shines have graced diamonds of years gone by and will be succeeded by those with even more majestic monikers.

Although Boston Red Sox minor leaguer Forrestt Allday is part of the cool name club, that pales in comparison to what he brings on the field. The 22-year-old is a well-regarded outfield prospect and is starting his ascent up the ranks in the top-notch Boston player development system.

The left-handed Allday was a star at Friendswood High School in Texas. He went on to junior college, accumulating an amazing on-base percentage of .554 in 2011, according to OvertheMonster.com’s Ben Buchanan.

Allday’s strong play earned him a spot with the University of Central Arkansas. In 2012, he hit .324 with 49 runs scored and a .486 on-base percentage, according to the school’s athletic site.
Last season, he went out on top in a Bear uniform, hitting .365 with a .503 on-base percentage and 59 runs scored. He ranked near the top in most Southland Conference offensive categories and set himself up as a very desirable prospect for the draft.

The Red Sox took Allday in the eighth round (233rd overall pick) in 2013. After signing, he played his first professional season with the Lowell Spinners in the New York-Penn League. Appearing in 38 games, he kept up his reputation as an on-base machine, hitting .267 with 11 RBIs, eight stolen bases and a .418 on-base percentage.

Although he isn’t a power hitter, his ability to get on base will only become magnified as he continues to hone his line-drive potential. He also is capable of playing all three outfielder positions, making him a very valuable prospect that could really pay off if his development continues to go well.

To find out how Allday wound up in the Boston organization, check out the interview he recently did with me. If you want to see how he fares in 2014, it won’t be difficult to remember his name. Make sure to also give him a follow on Twitter, and give him the full support of Red Sox Nation.

Forrestt Allday Interview:

Who was your favorite player when you were growing up, and why?: My favorite player growing up had to be Ken Griffey Jr. He was the most exciting player to watch in baseball, and I wanted to be just like him.

How did you end up choosing to attend the University of Central Arkansas?: Well I went to a junior college out of high school (Alvin Community College) for two years, and my coach Bryan Alexander knew the Central Arkansas coach, Allen Gum, really well. Coach Alexander told me, ‘If I had to send my son somewhere to play right now, it would be to play for Coach Gum at UCA.’

At first, I was honestly a bit skeptical of going all the way to Arkansas to play baseball. But when I met Coach Gum, I knew this was the place for me. And it paid off as, we had a 40+ win season and went to an NCAA Regional before losing to Mississippi State in the Regional final of the winner-take-all Championship game.

How did you first find out that the Red Sox were interested in you?: Well, during the college season, a lot of scouts were coming to our games. I met a guy named Chris Mears, who is a scout for the Red Sox. He expressed their interest in me and kept contact with me up until the draft.
What was your draft experience like?: Anxious, excited, nervous, etc…  It was a lot of emotions all at once. It was a once in a lifetime experience and I wouldn't change it for the world. My family and friends were over and we watched the draft on the TV. It was an incredible day that I'll never forget and I'm so blessed to be a part of the Boston Red Sox organization.

What current player would you say your style/type of skills is most similar to?: I'd say Jacoby Ellsbury because he can do it all. Hit to all parts of the field, bunt and steal bases. That's the kind of player that I try to emulate when I step on to the baseball field.

What is one part of your game that you hope to improve on the most?: I'd say all parts. This game isn't easy and you can always get better at something. That's my goal; to get better each and every day even if it's a little bit.

A number of major leaguers (Clay Buchholz, Daniel Bard, Brayan Villarreal, etc) were on rehab with the Lowell Spinners this year. What was your experience with them?: It was great to see guys like this come to our team and show us what it's like to be a big leaguer. These guys have such a great work ethic and craft to the game of baseball. Obviously, we are striving to be like them, and hopefully one day we will be.

What are some things you like to do away from baseball?: I enjoy many things outside of baseball such as hanging out with my family, playing with my dogs, working out, etc…

********************************
You can check me out on Facebook or follow me on Twitter @historianandrew

No comments:

Post a Comment